Safety Is Always First at Reliant.

Remember to use precautions when you work with dry ice.

View Safety Info
Play Video

Guidelines For Safe Dry Ice Use

Handling Dry Ice

  • The temperature of dry ice is -109º F. That is cold enough to freeze skin cells and cause an injury similar to a burn.
  • Always use in a ventilated location.
  • Children should be supervised by an adult when using dry ice.

Storing Dry Ice

  • Store dry ice in an insulated container. Do not store ice in a container that is completely airtight. As the ice changes to CO2 (carbon dioxide) gas, it will cause an airtight container to expand and possibly explode.

Proper Ventilation

  • Dry ice gives off CO2 into the air, so if dry ice has been in a closed car, van, or room for more than 10 minutes, open the doors and windows before entering. Otherwise, you will experience difficulty breathing. Leave the area immediately if you start to breathe quickly or have any difficulty breathing.

Misuse of Dry Ice

  • Intentional Misuse of Dry Ice May Be Harmful or Fatal.
  • Dry ice is a skin and eye irritant. Avoid contact with skin, mouth, eyes, and clothing. May cause severe frostbite or burns.
  • Dry ice is harmful if eaten or swallowed. If eaten, seek medical help immediately.
  • Dry ice changes to CO2 gas as it sublimates (melts). Do not use or store in a confined space.
  • Do not place dry ice in airtight containers. Airtight containers may explode as dry ice converts to CO2 gas.
  • Only use dry ice in open or well-ventilated areas.   Carbon Dioxide vapor is 1.5 times heavier than air and will displace oxygen in an enclosed room, car, or area with little ventilation. Otherwise, a lack of oxygen (suffocation) can occur, causing serious injury or death.

Dry Ice Safety Videos

Dry Ice Safety Downloads